Sunday, June 1, 2008

Are men good listeners?

There are different kinds of men – some good listeners, some bad. I think I’m a very bad listener – I’d put myself in that category. Some men are so stressed out over problems in their own lives, that they just switch off. They might actually like to listen to their partner, but they’re so caught up in their own problems that they can’t, and then the women complain. They’re so caught up in their own issues that even though they love their partner, they’re unable to hear them out patiently. There are also men who are very giving and patient as listeners, but then again, there are others who just don’t have the right intention. Sometimes, they’re just interested in sex or a short-term relationship, so they don’t invest in being a good listener. I would count myself as a bad listener because again – I’m so busy and so caught up with my own problems that if I had a girlfriend, I’d make a for a very bad listener! Riddhima Kapoor Sahni Entrepreneur Well, it is tough to answer this one. Men do listen, but only when they want to. If it is a topic of their concern then they are all ears. For instance, if you discuss how many runs did the Jaipur IPL team score then they would be all game to even discuss the rating of the different teams. But if you are planning to discuss shopping, then you will get excuses. And knowing this now, I know how to make my hubby listen to me. I try and talk about cricket that he is crazy about and then eventually talk about my shopping plans. So, a good dose of your guy’s favourite topic will get him listening, trust me! As far as I am concerned, when it comes to listening, I’m a bit of a hyper girl. In fact, I’d say, I’m quite impatient. And with me too, it has to be a subject of my interest. And that’s how my husband gets me to listen to him as well. So we balance each other out quite well.

No comments: